Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Sunday, April 1, 2012

TEMPO AND THE JET SETS - SWEETEST THING TO ME


I'm not an expert on Jamaican music (far from it, in fact); frankly, I'm a bit intimidated by the sheer number of records produced on the island during the 60's and 70's. I've got quite a bit in my collection, though, and I love the sounds deeply. While most of what I have is on compilations/ box sets and the like, occasionally I'll come across some nice original 45's such as this one.

The first thing that strikes me about this record is the downright top shelf vocalists; this duo just NAILS the performance and sends shivers up my spine! The song itself is amazing as well.

In prepping to do this post, I looked to see if there was any info about the group in my copy of "Reggae- The Rough Guide" and while that book has a massive amount of info, there is none on Tempo And The Jet Sets. The web wasn't much of a help either, but I think the release date is correct. This is a US pressing; by the mid-70's many Jamaican releases were seeing small print runs on labels based in New York City (in addition to many titles being imported from both Jamaica and the UK) accounting for nearly endless label and pressing variations of these records.

from 1974...

TEMPO AND THE JET SETS - SWEETEST THING TO ME

Like Derek's Daily 45 on Facebook

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The two chords song are the best !

I m a little bit disapointed about the gibson girl. :-)

Marc

clawthing said...

Yeah, I love pretty much any rocksteady tune with that two chord sequence, and this is gorgeous.

Greenockian said...

Tempo is actually Noel "Sowell" Bailey aka Noel Tempo. He was a guitarist with Roots Radics and Sowell Radix playing dancehall style reggae in the early 8o's.
Try this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jVS8QHmkBg&feature=related

Greenockian said...

Try this one too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q_qqyptPaI