Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Friday, November 12, 2010

THEE MIDNITERS - JUMP, JIVE, AND HARMONIZE


Thee Midnighters were possibly thee most versatile band on the L.A scene in the sixties; whether it was the deep soul of "Dreaming Casually", the prideful "Chicano Power", lowrider anthem "Whittier Blvd" or their huge hit version of "Land Of 1000 Dances", this great band was equally adept at virtually any style of music and their superb musicianship and stellar vocals are as good as they get.

However, THIS track finds the group whipping out what is perhaps the greatest garage soul record ever made. While I love practically everything the group ever recorded, for my ears this is their peak, and if I were to compile a list of the 100 best 45's of the 60's, this side would certainly have an important place. Luckily, I haven't had to compile a list like that, as it would be a tortuous task! I've wanted to feature this song since day one of the blog, but I've been hunting down a copy for ages and only recently did it make it into my clutches.

I can only IMAGINE what this song sounded like live back in the day from the band radio man Casey Kasem described as "the greatest band I ever hired"(although the raw recording full of fuzz guitar, fuzz bass, and even fuzz vocals, probably gives a good idea of this bands' live abilities).

from 1967...

THEE MIDNITERS - JUMP, JIVE, AND HARMONIZE

9 comments:

Rockin' Jeff said...

My mind has oficially been blown! What an amazing bit of noise.

Matt said...

And I'd love to see you make that top 100!

Delinquent said...

One of my absolute fave records/bands of all time!!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely fabulous cut!

Unknown said...

Excellent side. I am only familiar with two other songs by this group. I've never heard this one before and it is the best of them. Thank you!

Mr.W said...

Dynamite!

Paul said...

I almost missed this one! What a great record!

El G. man (pero yo) said...

Thank you all for your extraordinary kindness. It's safe to say that when George Dominguez, Danny Lamont, Roy Marquez and I (Little Willie G.) wrote this exaggerated expression taken from a neighborhood greeting, we had no idea the great mileage we would get out of it. 48 years later, reading your comments has rejuvenated my spirit and provoked me to keep Jump, Jive, and Harmonize in our current set list. Hope to keep you rockin' in the years to come and once again, THANK YOU for the LOVE! Merry Christmas music lovers..............

Derek See said...

Little Willie G, thanks for stopping by! I'm a HUGE fan of ALL of your records!!!