Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

THE MASQUERADERS - I"M JUST AN AVERAGE GUY



This incredible deep soul cut is from a group that the term "journeymen" could describe incredibly well; leaving their homes in Dallas, TX with the drive to make it in Detroit, the group released a few sides and then moved on to Memphis. In Memphis, the group hooked up with Chips Moman's American Studios/ productions and not only cut some sides on their own but worked as session singers for the likes of Wilson Pickett and The Box Tops.

Perhaps I over-romanticize these things sometimes, but to my ears they way these fellas sing this track shows the hard work and determination that they put into their career that never yielded the kind of success they deserved. So deep, so real. Add to this Tommy Cogbill's excellent production and this is such a fine example of music from the heart.

There is an excellent in-depth article about the group here (with excellent interviews):
http://www.soulexpress.net/masqueraders_story.htm

from 1968...

THE MASQUERADERS - I"M JUST AN AVERAGE GUY

2 comments:

Out In The Street said...

Love this song!
Actually just got a copy from ebay. had no bids on it, much like this post had no comments haha.

Anonymous said...

this has been my husbands and my song for at least 25 years & he has it tattooed across his chest over my name (of course) every time i hear it ,it brings tears to my eyes . i love it . love it, love it! Mrs. Q.