Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

BESSIE BANKS - GO NOW


Under the excellent production skills of Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, Bessie achieves sonic nirvana on this track (which could easily place high on a list of the thousand greatest songs ever written, as well).

Like many other folks, I first heard this performed by Wings (from "Wings Over America") then heard the Moody Blues cover, then ended up at the original version last. All three recordings are very close to my heart.

Not a whole lot more needs to be said about this one.

from 1964...

BESSIE BANKS - GO NOW

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Derek,
Really enjoy the daily treat of discovering, or re-discovering. Thanks!
By the way, I believe the Moody Blues version of "Go Now" (circa '65?) predates the Wings version.
Regards,

Derek See said...

Yes, of course. The Wings version is from '76. I was just stating the order in which I personally first heard them. Glad you enjoy the blog.

uptownjen said...

Didn't Denny Laine sing both of them, though?

Derek See said...

Yes, that's Denny on both versions.

YankeeBoy said...

I guess I'm showing my age (59 in June) when I say that I heard the Moodies version first, at the time it was released. This is one of the few times when I actually like the cover better than the original. To me, their version will always be the definitive one.

Katie alice Greer said...

Love this track -- & can't tell you how much I appreciate this blog. You do a great service to us all!

Mystic Melvin said...

I've still have my original copy i bought on the U.K Soul City label. This for me is a track that brings back so many memories of Soul clubs in the U.K.in that grate decade.

elusive said...

great song!