Fair Use disclaimer

All music presented on this site is shared under the premise of "fair use"; this site is solely intended for the purpose of education and critique. If you are a rights holder to any of the music presented and wish for it to be removed, simply contact me directly and it will be taken down.

Sunday, April 12, 2009

GENE CHANDLER & BARBARA ACKLIN - ANYWHERE BUT NOWHERE


oooh....Almost too good to be true! Two of the finest Chicago based vocalists paired up together for far too few records in the late sixties and this is probably my favorite of those. This is the b side of "From The teacher To The Preacher" which is far more famous but in my humble opinion this is the MUCH stronger song.

Being the record geek that I am, I am also fascinated with the fact that the overall bass and drum sound is strikingly similar (especially check out the snare drum cracks) to the track that was used for both "Am I The Same Girl" by Barbara Acklin and "Soulful Strut" (credited to Young Holt Unlimited, but actually the Brunswick house band that later went on to be called Pieces Of Peace). Not a coincidence, as it's the same musicians and the same time period.

from 1968...

GENE CHANDLER & BARBARA ACKLIN - ANYWHERE BUT NOWHERE

1 comment:

John DeAngelis said...

Great track, Derek! I loce it when the pianist plays the "anywhere but nowhere" part.